Monday, April 20, 2009

Street Style in D.C.!

I just got back from D.C. (notice the lag in posts!) I traveled on the city's Metro system into D.C. everyday and did some people watching. As an artist/stylist, this is one of my favorite jobs... to watch and observe what people are wearing on the streets in different cities and bring that style to you.

Coming from New England, I thought the style in D.C. would be inspiring and fashion forward. Well, it was both, but not a lot of different than what we wear here. I just assumed that being a top city, the Capital, where Mrs. Obama lives, Washington D.C. would be jet setting, extreme, on the edge when it comes to style. I was right and wrong. As I said, the style was fashion forward, but not like you see on the streets of Manhattan or L.A.! It was sophisticated (thank you Mrs. Obama) and classic. With our economy on the down spiral, it appears that women are dressing safer and more traditional.

My favorite trend I spotted was the classic dress neatly worn with a thin cardigan over top. A lot of the dresses were classic shapes in vivid colors. Like this shirt dress from New York and Company (http://www.nyandcompany.com/). Worn with gladiator sandals or thong sandals, this style is flattering on every body type.
I spotted one young woman in a tribal print dress with a navy cardigan unbuttoned and jeweled thong sandals. It was beautiful and now I'm the search for a tribal dress to wear this spring.

Also everywhere were pencil skirts and simple button down cotton blouses. Also worn with sandals (the weather was in the 70's), this style is also simple and classic.

As for accessories, everyone seemed to be carrying large totes, maybe because you can bring your laptop or book for the Metro ride into the city, or maybe because totes are so fashion forward this spring. Scarves are also still going strong in lighter fabrics like silk blends. Jewelry was kept to a minimum with emphasize on the complete outfit.

I will keep observing different trends in different cities and try to update and create your style.

No comments:

Post a Comment