Monday, April 13, 2009

Time to Purge!

With Spring in full bloom, now is the time to purge all of your out-of-date, haven't worn in 5 seasons, will never fit in again OUTFITS!

I usually go through my closest and clothes at least twice a year. Once in the spring and again in the fall. Mainly because I have limited closet space so I need to change out my seasonal outfits to fit the weather in New England.

I have a couple of great ideas to help you weed out your clothes. First of all I suggest having 3 empty laundry baskets...1 for clothing to keep, 2 for clothing that will be given away to Goodwill or brought to a consignment shop to sell and 3 for items that could go either way!

The first rule when taking clothes out of storage is if you are not sure if it fits put it in basket #3 and try it on. Seems simple, but how many times do you rotate your clothes and then never wear it because it doesn't fit the way it use to. Which leads me to my favorite rule of purging, if you have not worn it in over the last 2 years (because it doesn't fit, doesn't look as good as when you bought it, or needs repair) YOU HAVE TO PURGE IT. You will not wear it again, it will not come back in style, you will not save it for your off springs, you will not fit in it again...purge it!

I recently read somewhere that if an item has sentimental value (for example: the leather jacket that you went to your first concert in) take a picture of it and then put it in the appropriate give away basket! Great idea! When you have finished going through your clothes... go through basket #3 and make hard but truthful decisions. Put the clothing to keep away in the appropriate spots, bag up the clothes for Goodwill and the clothes for consignment. It feels great to go through your clothes and filter them out. And remember the more you purge, the more room you will have for your new outfits!

Keep creating and updating your style!

No comments:

Post a Comment